In this webinar you will learn the role GPs have in community palliative care, and how you can work with local providers to achieve the best outcomes for patients. Topics include common medications and prescribing doses, and navigating difficult conversations.
Delivered by Banksia Palliative Care, this session will explain the role GPs have in community palliative care and outline the supports, care and expertise provided by community palliative care services.
It will also cover the benefits of partnerships between GPs and community palliative care services in achieving best outcomes for patients, carers and the service providers.
Topics covered will include:
- An introduction to palliative care in the community.
- The role of GPs and community palliative care services as partners in the management of palliative patients.
- Common medications and prescribing doses used in palliative care.
- Navigating essential conversations and utilising opportunistic conversation prompts.
- How to identify and refer to your local community palliative care provider.
When: Wednesday, 27 September 2023
Time: 6:30pm – 8:30pm
CPD: 2 RACGP CPD hours – Educational Activities
Dr Chien-Che Lin is a palliative medicine specialist consultant at several hospitals and community palliative care services in Victoria, including Banksia Palliative Care Service. He also works as a GP.
Committing to support people to live as well as possible, with the burden of diseases and dying, he has continuously dedicated clinical and administrative commitments to improve care in community settings. Dr Chien-Che is involved in teaching and supervision of medical students and medical specialist trainees, aiming to inspire a practice culture of academic excellence and human compassion across all clinical settings.
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Summarise the GP role in community palliative care.
- Describe core palliative medications and prescribing doses.
- Discuss community palliative care with patients who may benefit from a palliative approach.
- Utilise palliative care service finders and referral pathways.