Client and Carer Support Team (CCSP)
The Client and Carer Support program provides specialist support, training and education to clients, families and carers. Initially funded by the East Melbourne Primary Health Network, the CCSP provides specialised support, education and training to Banksia carers and clients.
The aim of the program is to enable families and carers to feel safe, capable and confident to provide care, so clients are able to remain in their own homes.
This program is run by Banksia’s team of Enrolled Nurses, who conduct expert assessments which establish where carers feel they need support, and address these needs accordingly. The nurses, who are all highly skilled and experienced in the provision of care, attend the home and will consider all aspects of current and future needs, and will work closely with the family and carers to gain the best outcomes.
The benefits include:
- Carers feel less anxious about looking after their loved one. They experience increased confidence and less carer stress / burden.
- Clients are supported in their home and are more likely to die with dignity, compassion and comfort and at their preferred site of death.
- Decreased need for clients to attend hospital for admissions.
- Carers have access to multiple supports including respite, which is provided by qualified and experienced nurses when required.
Our team provides families and carers with information, education and training about:
- Safe manual handling:
- Utilisation of equipment such as hospital beds, slide sheets, and recliner chairs etc.
- Safe transfers, eg assisting with transfers from bed to chair, and safe support of clients when walking if unsteady.
- General and end-of-life hygiene support:
- Bed based care including bed washes and general hygiene, linen changes, etc.
- Mouth care.
- End of life care – what to expect.
- Pressure care – the importance of movement and gentle massage of pressure points.
- Basic wound assessments and management.
- Respite care.