Bereavement SupportBanksia Palliative Care Service Inc.
Grief and Bereavement Support Services
The death of a loved one can be a difficult and emotional time. Banksia offers caring and respectful grief and bereavement services to all families of all of the people we felt privileged to care for.
Grief and Bereavement Counselling
Grief and bereavement counselling is provided at no cost by an experienced, specialist-trained, expert counsellor to support a person and/or family who are grieving.
At Banksia, we recognize that grief occurs before the death of a loved one, during all the caring phases and through the difficult period of end of life care and beyond.
Counselling can support our clients, family members and carers through the challenging time of transition, loss and grief.
Sessions of up to 60 minutes are provided, and are offered at the
Appointments can be made by contacting our Grief and Loss Counsellor on 9455 0822 or by speaking to any member of the Banksia Team.
Grief and Bereavement support can provide you with:
- Information and education on grief, loss and bereavement
- Time to reflect, and explore common thoughts, feelings, and reactions to loss.
- Strategies to support you and your family to manage the diverse and painful aspects of loss and uncertainty.
- Companionship and comfort during a personal time of change, transition and adjustment.
- Support and strategies to help you to learn to take care of yourself and your loved ones.
What we offer:
- Grief and Bereavement counselling for individuals and families (including children) which targets the specific needs of the person/family.
- Telehealth counselling sessions.
- Information and education, specifically related to what to expect, and how to manage grief and bereavement.
- Bereavement support groups – a chance to meet with others with identifiable experiences of loss and change.
- Bereaved walking groups.
- Remembrance Services.
These services are available to all families for up to 13 months after the death of a loved one at no cost.
Bereavement Information Sessions:
These sessions provide you with:
- Information about the nature and impact of grief.
- Coping strategies for grief and adjustment to loss.
- Opportunities to connect with peers.
The sessions are facilitated by a highly trained grief and bereavement counsellor who is experienced with helping people deal with the impact of loss.
To comply with Covid-19 restrictions, these sessions will now be only available as Telehealth on Zoom.
To register for these sessions please contact Banksia Palliative Care’s office with your preferred session day and time (as listed below).
Our contact number is (03) 9455 0822.
You will be provided with additional information and support regarding accessing the online session after you have registered.
Session details –
Sessions times: 10.00 am – 11.30 am
- Friday 5th November
- Thursday 2nd December
Please Note: These sessions are for bereaved family and friends of Banksia Palliative Care clients.
If you are seeking further information and bereavement support for yourself or a family member, please contact the Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement.
Phone: 03 9265 2100
Free Call: 1800 642 066 (Australia wide)
Banksia Remembrance Services
Banksia offers bereaved families and friends the opportunity to participate in our Remembrance Services throughout the year.
This service, which we run ourselves, provides an opportunity for family and friends to remember…to take some time, and to think about the person who had died. The service includes readings, music and an opportunity to light a candle in memory – it is not religious, it is not culturally specific and is appropriate for any age.
After the service, our staff will be on-hand to chat to families and friends. If you would like more information, please do not hesitate to contact Banksia on 9455 0822.
Upcoming Remembrance Service Dates:
- Thursday 9 December.
More more information, click here.